Intensive In-Home Services
Intensive In-home Services, a home-based family-focused program for children from 5 to 21 with emotional difficulties, at risk of out-of-home placement, or returning home from out-of-home placement.
In-Home Counseling Service Goals
- To preserve the integrity of the family
- To prevent unnecessary out-of-home placements
- To link the child and family with the appropriate community agencies and services
- To create an ongoing community support system
- To strengthen the family's coping skills and capacity to function effectively in the home and in the community
What We Do
The main focus of the home-based counseling service is to serve the mental health needs of the child. In addition, the program provides aid to the family in locating educational services, economic services, vocational services, medical services, social services, and legal services.
In-Home Services provide integrated interventions to strengthen the family's capacity to function effectively.
Referrals to In-Home Services may be made by contacting the In-Home Services Admissions Coordinator. Children from 5 to age 21 are appropriate for In-Home Services if:
- They are experiencing emotional difficulties
- They are returning from placement
- They are at serious risk of an out-of-home placement
- Home-based services are considered the necessary treatment strategy
Family Transitions, Inc In-Home Services respects each family's and individual's right to self-determination. We assist the family in ensuring that the basic needs of the children are being met within their own cultural, spiritual and emotional context. As an agency, we do not impose our values on families, rather, Family Transitions, Inc pinpoints the strengths and values of the family and with their willingness, helps them find their way to strengthening and healing.
The focus of intervention is to stabilize the family in crisis and preserve the family unit. We work in the home intensively to prevent out-of-home placement. We provide concrete as well as clinical services:
- 24 hour referral service
- 24 hour crisis intervention
- Parenting Education/Support Group
- Personal and home care resources
- Medical referrals
- Community resource referrals
- Teaching of non-physical discipline, communication and conflict resolution skills
- Social activities
Family Transitions, Inc In-Home Services will accept referrals 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. We ask that the referring worker to clarify the reason for the referral and establish goals with the family at the time of admission.
Families referred must meet the following criteria:
- At least one child is at risk of removal or is currently in placement outside the family home.
- At least one adult in the home is willing to participate in the service.
- An alleged or actual sexual abuse perpetrator cannot reside in the home.
What Makes In-Home Services Different?
- Services are intensive and tailored to meet the needs of the families.
- In-Home Counselors carry small caseloads, usually no more than four to five families, allowing them to devote the time needed to affect change.
- Our focus is on empowering families and teaching skills that will assist in dealing with stress and crisis situations in the future.
- We focus on a family's strengths, building upon them and allowing the family maximum input in treatment planning.